Audio Description as an Aural Guide of Children’s Visual Attention: Evidence from an Eye-Tracking Study.
- Izabela Krejtz,
- Agnieszka Szarkowska,
- Krzysztof Krejtz,
- Agnieszka Walczak,
- Andrew T. Duchowski
Audio description (AD) has become a cultural revolution for the visually impaired; however, the range of AD beneficiaries can be much broader. We claim that AD is useful for guiding children's attention. The paper presents an eye-tracking study testing the usefulness of AD in selective attention to described elements of a video scene. Forty-four children watched 2 clips from an educational animation series while their eye movements were recorded. Average fixation duration, fixation count, and saccade amplitude served as primary dependent variables. The results confirmed that AD guides children's attention towards described objects resulting e. g., in more fixations on specific regions of interest. We also evaluated eye movement patterns in terms of switching between focal and ambient processing. We postulate that audio description could complement regular teaching tools for guiding and focusing children's attention, especially when new concepts are introduced.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- IProceedings of Eye Tracking Research and Applications Conference.
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- DOI:10.1145/2168556.2168572 opening in a new tab
- http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2168572&dl=ACM&coll=DL&CFID=286165054&CFTOKEN=57552044 opening in a new tab
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Publication indicators
- = 63
- Citation count
- Additional fields
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=11784
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=11784
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=11823
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=11823
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.