When Appreciating Nature Makes One Care Less for Human Beings – the Role of Belief in Just Nature in Helping Victims of Natural Disasters.
- Adrian Wójcik,
- Aleksandra Cisłak-Wójcik
The concept that nature is just and that it can act against its perpetrators is widespread among environmentalists. In the research presented, we show the consequences of sharing just-nature beliefs for reactions toward victims of natural catastrophes. A preliminary qualitative analysis of environmentalist discourse related to victims of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster caused by a tsunami showed that just-nature beliefs were used to justify the Japanese tragedy. In the following three quantitative studies, we demonstrate that the belief in just-nature is related to a diminished tendency to help human beings who suffered from natural catastrophes. Two correlation studies conducted directly after the earthquake in Japan in 2011 on members of ecological organizations (N = 183) and undergraduates (N = 123) showed that just-nature beliefs result in a tendency to help by giving donations for reducing the consequences of nature rather than for human victims of the tragedy. The results were replicated in a correlation study of undergraduates (N = 153) conducted after Hurricane Sandy.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- Social Justice Research, ISSN 0885-7466
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- Keywords in English
- Belief in just nature, Helping, Money donation, Natural disasters
- ASJC Classification
- ; ;
- DOI:10.1007/s11211-013-0187-x opening in a new tab
- http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11211-013-0187-x opening in a new tab
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Publication indicators
- : 2014 = 0.585; : 2013 = 0.905 (2) - 2013=1.724 (5)
- Additional fields
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=15009
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=15009
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.