Appreciating Gratitude: Is Gratitude an Amplifier of Well-Being?
- Eufrozyna Gruszecka
The aim of the study was to investigate the relationship between gratitude and certain components of well-being which are conducive to affirming life. Additionally, we also compared how experiencing joy impacts those components of well-being. A randomly chosen 1/3 of the participants was asked to recall an event from their past when they felt grateful. Another 1/3 was asked to recall an event from their past when they felt joy. The final 1/3 of the participants was the control group. Next, all participants filled in the Satisfaction With Life Scale. Then (taking turns) they completed the Social Ties Scale and the Social Trust Scale. Finally, all participants estimated the amount of beneficiary experiences and gratitude they had received in life. The results of the study indicate that both gratitude and joy enhance happiness, and that gratitude and joy play an important, although different in some respects, role as contributing factors to happiness. The results indicate a positive relationship between the balance in gratitude experiences and the examined aspects of well-being.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- Polish Psychological Bulletin, ISSN 0079-2993, e-ISSN 1641-7844
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- ASJC Classification
- DOI:10.1515/ppb-2015-0025 opening in a new tab
- file:///C:/Users/EUFROZYNA/Downloads/ppb-2015-0025%20(4).pdf opening in a new tab
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Publication indicators
- : 2015 = 0.297
- Additional fields
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=16563
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=16563
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.