Local resource depletion hypothesis as a mechanism for action selection in the brain.
- Aneta Brzezicka,
- Jan Kacper Kamiński,
- Andrzej Wróbel
As a comment on Kurzban et al.'s opportunity cost model, we propose an alternative view of mental effort and the action selection mechanism in the brain. Our hypothesis utilizes local resource depletion within neuronal networks, which justifies from a neurophysiological perspective why mental fatigue diminishes after switching to a novel task and explains action selection by means of neural competition theory.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- Behavioral and Brain Sciences, ISSN 0140-525X
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- ASJC Classification
- ; ;
- DOI:10.1017/S0140525X13000940 opening in a new tab
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24304779 opening in a new tab
- (en) English
- Score (nominal)
- Publication indicators
- : 2013 = 3.612; : 2013 = 14.962 (2) - 2013=22.821 (5); = 10
- Citation count
- Additional fields
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=16902
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=16902
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.