Poverty: Polish young people's concerns about their social future
- Beata Krzywosz-Rynkiewicz,
- Anna Zalewska
The transformations of the 21st century encourage a modern understanding of citizenship – not only the in relation to the state approach but also in relation to an active practice. Changes (e.g. minority rights, movement of people, global economy) cause different social problems (social stratification, exclusion, discrimination, xenophobia etc.). Active citizenship requires dealing with current social problems that may occur alongside changes happening in the modern world. In this paper we present how young people in Poland understand poverty and if they are optimistic about it in the future. Results of a survey and focus groups with young people show that young people’s understanding of poverty is complex. Younger pupils identify it more often as an absolute poverty, while older as subjective and relative category related to readiness to regular life. Older students perceive poverty as a reason of social exclusion. The causes of poverty, independent of students’ age, are related to personal rather then external factors. In students’ opinion education and hard work create chances to avoid poverty. Optimism about poverty in the future decreases with age. The crucial transition point in this understanding of poverty and its’ reasons, as well as optimism in relation to this, occurs between 11 and 14 years.
- Record ID
- Publication size in sheets
- Cunningham Peter, Peter Cunningham Fretwell Nathan Nathan Fretwell (eds.): Lifelong Learning and Active Citizenship, 2010, Londyn, CiCe Publications. DOI:ISBN 978-1-907675-01-0 opening in a new tab
- Abstract in Polish
- DOI:ISBN 978-1-907675-01-0 opening in a new tab
- (pl) Polish
- Score (nominal)
- Additional fields
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=5269
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=5269
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.