Culture as a factor influencing expression of one's own identity: Measuring gender identity
- Joanna Roszak
Recent literature on masculinity and femininity attempts to shift the paradigm from the stereo-typical sex-role psychological constructs of femininity and masculinity. One example is the approach suggested by Rose Marie Hoffman, L. Dianne Borders and John A. Hattie (2000), which is intended to focus on personal meanings of gender. The measure they propose is the Hoffman Gender Scale, which is intended to be a more culture-free measure of gender identity than the BSRI. The goal of this article is to question whether it is possible to shape one’s gender identity entirely insulated from the influence of society, as well as to provide data suggesting that the assumed difference between constructs tapped by the HGS and the BSRI should be re-evaluated. Firstly, a brief description of the Polish adaptation of the HGS is presented, which suggests that the scale may be relatively culture-laden. Secondly, a replication of Rose Marie Hoffman et al.’s (2000) method of measuring the dis-criminant validity of the construct is described. Additional data are presented on the assumed relation between the social prescription and the individual conception of gender. Finally, some suggestions as to the possible pre-requisites to the formation of personal definitions of one’s feminin-ity and masculinity are discussed.
- Record ID
- Publication size in sheets
- Chybicka Aneta, Aneta Chybicka Safdar Saba F., Saba F. Safdar Kwiatkowska Anna Anna Kwiatkowska (eds.): Culture & gender: An intimate relation, 2010, Gdańsk, GDAŃSKIE WYDAWNICTWO PSYCHOLOGICZNE
- http://www.gwp.pl/7026,culture-gender-an-intimate-relation.html opening in a new tab
- (pl) Polish
- Score (nominal)
- Additional fields
- Dorobek Naukowy - Preview URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Podglad.aspx?WpisID=6946
- Dorobek Naukowy - Approve URL: http://dn.swps.edu.pl/Biuro/ZatwierdzanieWpisu.aspx?WpisID=6946
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.