Przekonanie o narodowej matyrologii. Efekt kolektywnego narcyzmu, indywidualnej samooceny czy sytuacji grupy?
- Krystyna Skarżyńska,
- Kamil Przybyła
Abstract. Belief about collective victimhood is understood as a result of narcissistic collective identity, in which the glorification of in-group’s greatness is accompanied by uncertainty about its value, low personal self-esteem, and objective prognosis of ingroup situation (the accessibility of negative vs. neutral vs. positive information). An experimental study was conducted, in which 127 adult individuals were randomly assigned to three different experimental conditions. In each condition, participants were presented with specific information about Poland’s political and economic situation. Belief in collective victimhood was measured using the Perpetual In-Group Victimhood Orientation Scale (Klar, Roccas, Schori, & Kahn, 2009). National collective narcissism was measured using the Scale of Collective Narcissism, developed by Golec de Zavala, Cichocka, Eidelson, and Jayawickreme (2009). Individual self-esteem was examined with Rosenberg’s Self-Esteem Scale as adapted into Polish by Dzwonkowska, Lachowicz-Tabaczek, and Łaguna (2008). The following variables were also measured: national identity (scale by Cichocka, Golec de Zavala, and Olechowski, 2011), xenophobia (scale used in EVS, adapted by Radkiewicz, 2009), and prejudices (scale inspired by the Bogardus Social Distance Scale). The results demonstrated that belief in national victimhood is strongly and positively related to national narcissism and strongly but negative related to individual self-esteem. The author suggests that this proves the ego-defending or compensating role of martyrdom beliefs. The prognosis of in-group situation had no effect on the level of belief in collective victimhood.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- Przeglad Psychologiczny (The Review of Psychology. Official Journal of the Polish Psychological Association), ISSN 0048-5675
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- Keywords in English
- national victimhood, collective narcissism, self-esteem, in-group situation
- http://www.kul.pl/tom-58-nr-1,art_59202.html opening in a new tab
- (pl) Polish
- Additional file
- Score (nominal)
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.