JEDNOMANDATOWE OKRĘGI WYBORCZE A JAKOŚĆ REPREZENTACJI. PRZYKŁAD ZASTOSOWANIA JAKOŚCIOWEJ ANALIZY PORÓWNAWCZEJ
- Igor Lyubashenko,
- Marta Żerkowska-Balas
This article attempts to make an empirical verifi cation of the impact the electoral law on shaping the expectations of voters towards elected representatives. The analysis was conducted using data collected under the project entitled ‘The impact of electoral rules on the quality of local democracy in Poland’, whose fundamental premise was to take advantage of the situation arising after the amendment to the Electoral Code in 2011, as a result of which different electoral regulations were in force in the 2014 local government elections in various similar cities. Therefore, it was possible to verify a number of statements functioning in public space regarding issues, such as the positive impact of single-mandate constituencies on the quality of democracy (in particular, on the quality of democracy at the local level). The purpose of the analysis was to try to fi nd regularities in changes in perceiving the role of councillors that may have occurred as a result of different electoral regulations. To this end, we used the qualitative comparative analysis (QCA) methodology, which allows the study of relationships between sets and the interpretation of these relationships in terms of necessity and suffi ciency. The results suggest that the introduction of the majority system in a number of cities in the 2014 local government elections did not lead to the formation of a coherent model of political representation at the city council level, which would be qualitatively different from the representation model characteristic for cities with a proportional electoral system.
- Record ID
- Other language title versions
- Single-mandate Constituencies and Quality Representation: An example of the Application of Qualitative Comparative Analysis
- Journal series
- Studia Polityczne, ISSN 1230-3135
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- Keywords in English
- electoral law, representation, local democracy, qualitative comparative analysis.
- DOI:10.35757/STP.2020.48.1.07 opening in a new tab
- (pl) Polish
- Additional file
- Score (nominal)
- Score source
- Publication indicators
- = 1
- Citation count
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.