New Political Trends in Europe and their Impact on Economic Freedom. A Long Shadow of the Non-Democratic Past?
- Andrzej Kondratowicz
This paper deals with some aspects of the changes in the level of economic freedom (hence- forth: EF). First, we will show numerical characteristics illustrating the unstable nature of EF, both in relation to the world and some particular national economies. Next, we will offer some general observations on the mechanisms of changes in EF and then, we will relate them to newly emerging political phenomena that are more and more clearly visible in today’s Europe. At the moment they can be seen predominantly among several new members and candidates for members of the European Union (for brevity we will label them as “EU peripheries”) – notably in Hungary, Poland and Turkey (HU-PL-TR). But on a more distant political horizon some ob- servers see signs of political instability affecting the core EU countries, as well. Time will tell to what extent they will have materialized. Our hypothesis is that those political processes, if con- tinued, might be quite detrimental to the EF level in the EU peripheries, while – with some mi- nor qualifications – they are not that threatening to the EF level in the core “post-Brexit” EU countries and in the UK in the long-run. Many examples will be drawn from recent Polish expe- rience, of which the author possesses the best knowledge.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- The Visio Journal, ISSN 2356-1481
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- (en) English
- File: 1
- A. Kondratowicz New Political Trends in Europe and their Impact on Economic Freedom. A Long Shadow of the Non-Democratic Past ART.pdf
- File: 2
- A. Kondratowicz New Political Trends in Europe and their Impact on Economic Freedom. A Long Shadow of the Non-Democratic Past oświadczenie.pdf
- Score (nominal)
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.